Monday, August 26, 2013

the art of doing nothing



It can be argued it was the most beautiful weekend of summer. 70's, sunny, and not a hint of humidity. But I found it to be the most beautiful weekend of summer for another reason. Friday rolled around and I didn't have anything planned. The weekend was wide open, open to possibilities, open to going with the flow, open to spontaneity. And there is something so beautiful about doing nothing, about having nothing planned. You can just feel all of that space, and whether you chose to fill it or not, it's there for you.

Doing nothing doesn't mean mindlessly sitting on the couch watching TV, it means doing something that makes you feel relaxed, makes you feel like you are focusing on yourself. Which, in this day and age, we are so busy working and running around doing things, we often forget to work on our own well being. 

With nothing planned, I chose to fill my weekend with delicious dinner dates with Chris, tanning and reading 'Food Matters' at the pool, practicing yoga in unusual places, putting competitions, and a strongly brewed rum punch on the beach. I filled it with things I love, things that bring me peace. I noticed every quiet moment of inspiration. The lingering monarchs colors in the sun, my puppy running freely through the grass, the feel of the sand between my toes. I felt love and saw light in every single moment. I loved my weekend of doing nothing, yet doing everything that brings me love. 

“Happiness, not in another place but this place...not for another hour, but this hour.” - Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment