Wednesday, October 9, 2013

(be) a fighter


I recently woke up with sharp pains in my chest....one of the most terrifying feelings. After a trip to the ER, and multiple doctor consultations, I was at a loss, and so were they. No one could figure out why I felt such sharp pains to the left side of my chest. I couldn't take a deep breath, I couldn't lay on my back, I couldn't open a window, couldn't reach down to put my shoes on...it was all too painful. I was scared. 

After two days of resting, and no results, I really began to think about what stresses I had put on my body this past week. I began to reflect, and to listen to my body. Then I remembered I did take a fall out of handstand last week, twisting my shoulder. It hurt a little, but then nothing came of it. Reflecting back, that type of rotation though? Something must have popped. 

So off to the chiropractor I went. 6 of my ribs were unaligned, my shoulder had slightly popped out, as well as my bicep. He worked on them, and the sharp pains lifted. I felt a sense of relief.

Later that evening, the pain returned. I couldn't breathe deeply, and even my regular shorter breaths hurt. Blood work came back showing I have some type of infection....Another restless night of sleep, interrupted by shooting pains. Fear took over. 

But I woke up this morning with a new outlook, despite the ongoing pain. I had to let go of my fear. I am going to be ok. I am going to fight whatever this is. I can get through whatever life throws my way. I have an incredible support system, I am a healthy 23 year old, and combined with positive thinking, I will fight whatever is hurting me, and come out stronger. 

I have learned to listen to my body. I have learned rest is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. I have learned to never give up. I have learned it's ok to rely on others for help and support. 

I am a fighter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment